Photos of Eyre Square Galway Ireland



Eyre Square is located in the heart of Galway City and is a very popular open space area where tourists and locals can relax in its many seating areas. It is called The Square by the locals and dates back to 1710 when it was presented to the city by the Mayor Edward Eyre from whom the name Eyre Square comes from. It was originally surrounded by a wooden fence until it was replaced in the late 1700s by iron railings. In the 1960s these railings were taken down and moved to St Nicholas Collegiate Church where they have remained since. Eyre Square was renamed in 1965 to Kennedy Memorial Park in honour of US President John F. Kennedy who was assassinated in 1963 a short time after his visit to Eyre Square Galway. The main feature in Eyre Square is a monument of a fountain which is in the form of copper coloured sails. This was erected in 1984 and is a representation of a traditional Galway fishing boat called a Galway Hooker
Hotel View at Eyre Square Galway

Eyre Square Galway
Eyre Square Galway

View from top of Eyre Square Galway

View from Bottom of Eyre Square Galway

14 Flags of Tribes of Gawlay

View from bottom of Eyre Square

Galway Hooker Monument against evening sky

Flags of the 14 Tribes of Galway in Eyre Square Galway